CGU Annual Awards
The CGU recognizes excellence in Canadian geosciences through a number of prestigious awards for our members. These awards are dispersed at the Union and Section levels, and include several student awards.
- Senior Awards at the Union Level : Nomination-based awards available to all regular (non-student) members of the CGU.
- Student Awards at the Union Level: Available to all student members of the CGU, based on extended abstracts and presentations or posters.
- Student Awards at the Section Level : Available to students who are members of a given CGU Section, based extended abstracts and presentations or posters.
Senior Awards: Union Level
- The J. Tuzo Wilson Medal recognizes internationally-renowned Canadian scientists at the peak of their career.
- The Young Scientist Award recognizes researchers who have done exceptionally well at the beginning of their careers.
- The Meritorious Service Award recognizes service to the Union itself.
Student Awards: Union Level
There are two Union level student scholarships:
These scholarships recognize excellent students in each of these disciplines, and were made possible by endowments from these prominent Canadian geophysicists. Detailed information on each of these scholarships, including how to apply, is available via the links above.
There are also three Union level student presentation awards.
- CGU Best Student Paper Award
- Shell Canada Best Student Poster Award
- Chevron Canada Outstanding Student Paper in Seismology
These are given at our annual meeting. Detailed information on each of these awards, including how to apply, is available on the CGU Best Student Awards page.
The CGU also awards travel support for students to attend the Annual General Meeting.
Student Awards: Section Level
Section level awards are given to student members of individual CGU Sections based on extended abstracts and presentations at the annual meeting. There are presently five awards:
- Biogeosciences: Best Student Paper Award
- Geodesy: Best Student Paper Award
- Hydrology: DM Gray Award for Best Student Paper
- Hydrology: Campbell Scientific Award for Best Student Poster
- Solid Earth: Best Student Paper Award*
*No extended abstract is required
Detailed information on each of these awards, including how to apply, is available via the links above, or by going directly to the CGU Best Student Awards page.