Website Ocean Networks Canada
A University of Victoria Initiative
Scientific Data Specialist Position #991223
Salary grade $68,097.00 – $89,370.00
Ocean Networks Canada, Victoria, British Columbia
Ocean Networks Canada (ONC) is a world-leading organization supporting ocean discovery and technological innovation. ONC is a not-for-profit society that operates and manages innovative cabled observatories on behalf of the University of Victoria that supply continuous power and Internet connectivity to various scientific instruments located in coastal, deep-ocean, and Arctic environments. ONC’s cable arrays host hundreds of sensors distributed in, on and above the seabed along with mobile and land based assets strategically located, instruments that address key scientific and policy issues (subsea earthquakes and tsunamis, ocean acidification, marine biodiversity, etc.) within a wide range of environments.
The Scientific Data Specialist is responsible for the development of sophisticated data products, including verification and quality assessment of real-time and archived data. These data products enable scientific and non-scientific users to understand, interpret and analyze information collected via the instruments on the network operated by ONC.
Qualifications and Experience
The Scientific Data Specialist will have a Master’s degree in Earth and Ocean Sciences or related field and 2-3 years of experience working with data from oceanographic instruments, or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Essential qualifications include excellent problem solving and interpersonal skills as well as a strong quantitative and technical background in relevant fields.
The following knowledge and experience is required:
- experience developing data products using computational and data analysis/visualization packages such as Matlab, R, IDL and Mathematica or their public domain equivalents
- experience with time series and spatial analysis
- excellent skills in quantitative data validation
- knowledge of scientific data formats/standards such as netCDF, HDF, SensorML or other XML-based formats used in Earth and Ocean Sciences
- proven ability to take projects from conception to completion
- experience with relational databases, modelling and simulation, and using query tools such as SQL
The following characteristics would be considered an asset:
- practical experience in R, C/C++ or Java, XML or HTML and scripting languages
- some experience with handling or maintaining oceanographic instruments
For a full job description and to apply for this position: Please submit your CV and cover letter outlining your qualifications to https://uvic.mua.hrdepartment.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/7725. The deadline for applications is November 16, 2021 at 4:00pm.
To apply for this job please visit uvic.mua.hrdepartment.com.