CGU Best Student Paper Awards
CGU offers six awards to recognize outstanding performance in scientific research and presentation by students. Awards are presented at the award ceremony of each CGU annual meeting (when scheduling allows). Award winners and their supervisors are also listed in the CGU newsletter Elements, and on CGU web and social media channels.
*Winners consent to being published in the CGU Elements Newsletter, as well as on CGU social media channels.
Union Level Awards
There are two Union level student awards:
- CGU Best Student Paper Award (oral presentation)
- Chevron Canada Outstanding Student Paper in Seismology
1. CGU Best Student Paper Award (oral presentation)
Submit a maximum 5 page paper (including figures and references) by April 17th of any given year to Kristy Tiampo. A maximum of five papers will be pre-selected by the judges, and the associated oral presentations will be assessed at the annual meeting. The winner of the CGU Best Student Paper Award receives a $500 prize.
See here for a sample CGU Best Student Paper format.
2. Chevron Canada Outstanding Student Paper in Seismology
Submit a maximum 5 page paper (including figures and references) by September 15, 2017 (special call) to Kristy Tiampo.
See here for a sample Chevron Canada Outstanding Student Paper format.
Section Level Awards
BIOGEOSCIENCES SECTION AWARD
GEODESY SECTION AWARD
To apply for the $500 Best Student Paper in Geodesy Award, submit a 3 page extended abstract to Joe Henton and Robert Kingdon before April 1st of any given year. Eligibility information and an example of the extended abstract format is available here .
HYDROLOGY SECTION AWARDS
There are two awards for hydrology students:
1. D.M. Gray Award for Best Student Paper in Hydrology: Eligibility and submission criteria are available here . Submit a 5 page paper by April 1st of any given year to this link.
2. Campbell Scientific Award for Best Student Poster in Hydrology: Eligibility and submission criteria are available here . Submit a 3 page extended abstract by April 1st prior of any given year to this link.
Students may apply for both the D.M. Gray Best Student Paper Award and the Campbell Scientific Best Poster Award, but will not be eligible to win both awards in the same year.
SOLID EARTH SECTION AWARD
No extended abstract is required for the $750 Solid Earth Best Student Paper Award. A committee will judge student contributions at the annual meeting.
Don’t forget to apply!